Monday, January 30, 2012

God Loves the Adoring and Forgiving Couple


25. Fifty - fifty
I am not a puzzle to be solved,
Nor a clay to the mould,
Perhaps all it involves
Is to love and to grow old.

I am not a book to be read,
Nor a bride to be wed,
I am me, a butterfly,
A song on your lips,
A petal of rose, bright and red.

I am not a bridge to be crossed
Nor a faith to believe in,
I am me, glad and beautiful,
And in my eyes is a fire,
Golden and keen.

I have no shelter to give you,
Nor a harbour by the sea,
But if you were not you…
Then certainly, o’ love,
I would not be me.

Love is such a funny old thing. It can make you wise, but very often it can also make you mad. Chris Rock once said that if you have never contemplated murdering your soulmate, you are not actually in love. "Wow." I thought, "Chris Rock is like a sage, a Socrates for the new century. But of course, I think Socrates never cussed as much."

What do we bring to the table of love? Is it our wealth? Is it our lineage? Is it our class and respectability? Is it our good looks and health? All those things can be lost in a blink of an eye, often by our own mistakes, but sometimes by things which are out of our control. It would be foolish to rely on such baubles. 

I guess that at the end of the day, we can only bring ourselves into the grand equation of love. With all our niggling faults and imperfections, we hold our lover's gaze and ask, "This is who I am. I have poor table manners and I belch a lot. Do you love me still?" And every day, he or she will have to make that same commitment, as you do too.

I think God adores that in an adoring and forgiving couple. After all, it was He who created Love and Forgiveness.

Have a graceful day, sunshine.

wa min Allah at-taufiq

Hate has no place in Islam
Love will show the Way

No comments: