Sunday, February 5, 2012

A Friend's Dream and the Christian Greeting on the Prophet's Birthday


1. The Moon drifted over Medina
The Moon rose in Mecca,
Then a wind blew and it
Then drifted over Medina,
The Celestial Orb hovered for awhile
To then descend into the marketplaces,
Taverns, houses, bedrooms and such
Awkward places where men
Hide their hearts but show their faces.

Early in the morning, I received a call from a friend. He said, “I just woke up from a fantastic dream.” OH NO. Not another dream story. But I listened anyway –

A Friend’s Dream on Maulid ur Rasul (Prophet’s Birthday)
I awoke from my weary sleep into a waking dream, and before consciousness took me, a voice whispered into my soul… it is the Prophet’s birthday, so how do you greet 
the Morning Sun? And I cried, Alhamdulillah! Alhamdulillah! Alhamdulillah! Raising 
my hands to the sky as if to receive the bounty of the entire Universe.

Then I was brought to a place, a cemetery and at the cemetery was a simple grave and a tree stood over the tree giving it shade. Then two friends appeared before me and asked, “O’ brother, if it was the Prophet’s grave before which you now stand, 
what would you do?”

But even in my dream I was a little shy, afraid that people might think me foolish and stupid, so I hesitated. My two friends simply gazed at me and smiled, as if knowing my predicament. Well, since they may know my answer already, I replied, “I would enter the presence of the Prophet Muhammad. For I have not met him… And I dearly wish to see him.” Again and again, I repeated my answer before finally waking up.
…………………

Christian Greeting on Maulid ur Rasul
Later in the morning while having breakfast, I received a call from Major Chan. It seemed that he was on his way to church this Sunday when he decided to give me a buzz. “Good morning, brother Taufiq!” was his frantic salutations, “I just wanted to call you on this noble day, a day when the Prophet Muhammad was born, to wish you a happy Maulid ur Rasul!” He is such a sweet and thoughtful friend.

Have a beautiful Sunday, sunshine.

Pax Taufiqa

Hate has no place in Islam
Love will show the Way

No comments: