Tuesday, August 6, 2013

FRIENDSHIP OF THE COLLECTOR & THE COMPANION - The Ramadan Story, Part 19


The Collector & the Companion
Mr. A: Who are you?
Mr. B: I am a collector.

Mr. A: What do you collect?
Mr. B: I collect stories and traditions of the Prophet Muhammad.

Mr. A: Where did you come from?
Mr. B: I am from the future.

Mr. A: How did you get here?
Mr. B: I neither walked nor strayed here,
It is you who have come to me from the past.

Mr. A: I have? Well, Alhamdulillah!
Mr. B: Indeed... Alhamdulillah!
.................


A Rose of Infinite Petals. I spent some time after iftar this evening with an old, old friend. He isn't actually very old, but whenever I talk to him, he makes me feel young again, because almost inevitably without fail, he would trot out a story of the Prophet Muhammad (s.a.w.s.) that I have not heard before. I would just sit there contented as his words fall over me like a refreshing spring water, as the story of Muhammad (s.a.w.s.) unfolds yet again like a rose of infinite petals, told with the passion of an enthusiastic storyteller...

46. The Turban and the Nightingales
There are folds in the Prophet’s turban
Like unto petals of a fragrant rose
Before any nightingale sang in heaven
Muhammad was Allah’s first prose.
..............................

Falling for a Friend (again). It has been perhaps more than one decade since I first met my old friend. And even then, I found him brilliant, beautiful and with a wonderful sense of irony. Not for him was the same old script of theology and religion. He is one who has helped to shape my life with love and companionship, enriching my understanding of Muhammad and His Islam. and the serious and often hilarious tales of the Companions and the Saints, making them more human and approachable, yet even more divine and lovely. It would not be overestimating our chance meet tonight to say that I have fallen in love with my friend all over again, and with his Prophet Muhammad (s.a.w.s.). Of course, my friend did not time-travel from the past, but his words are weighed with centuries of contemplation of Muhammad. Perhaps, it is not his centuries we are talking about, but then again, there is nothing really new under the Sun, and there is nothing wrong in borrowed wisdom.


207. The Waiting II
Muhammad is waiting under the Lote Tree,
Sitting under the shade of My Mercy,
Resting his back on the trunk of My Support,
Tasting the fruits of My Generosity,
Taking delight in the manifestation of My Beauty.

Attended to by the Best of Hosts,
He is already in the Best of Company,
Yet his gaze returns to thee,
Asking, “Join me! Join me!”
....................................

And yes, it is his Prophet Muhammad (s.a.w.s.), as I have my Prophet Muhammad (s.a.w.s.), our idea and concept of the Beloved of God being absolutely personal and distinct to ourselves, according to our milestone in our individual lives. What ties us in common is our love for the Prophet (s.a.w.s.), and the only difference being the eagerness by which we race to learn more about Muhammad's (s.a.w.s.) Prophetic mission, and how better to please the Prophet (s.a.w.s.). And by 'eagerness' I mean his eagerness and my woeful blundering journey.


24. For you, For Muhammad.
I have given you the most beautiful dress that is your skin
For you to wear,
I have placed in you two revolving sapphire moons,
So that you might see,
I have plucked from My Garden two rose petals as your lips,
For you to kiss your lover with.

But for Muhammad, and no one else,
I have erected My Throne in your heart.
..............................


My friend though is a class act all by himself, and as I watched his retreating back after our all too short meeting, I hope and pray for the next encounter with him to come real soon. 

For I know my Muhammadan muse has many, many more stories to share.

May God bless his furry little heart (He is furry, Shahzad is. He is my friend, but I shan't lie). I guess I shall never be like him, for I have made myself to be a mistake that needs constant reference to His Mercy and His Compassion. Nonetheless I am happy to bask (however intermittently) in the warmth of his knowledge, and most importantly, sincere friendship.

In this world, what more can one ask, sunshine?


wa min Allah at-taufiq

Hate has no place in Islam
Love will show the Way 

1 comment:

Rebecca Gellar said...

Hi ggreat reading your post