Tuesday, December 3, 2013

THE HADRA... Immortals whirl and Nightingales sing!


The Hadra
You see guitars, drums, clarinets and cellos,
But I see instruments of worship with sounds hallowed,

You hear pop songs and think they sound wrong,
But I hear echos of choirs and heavenly songs,

You see kids jumping and dancing mad,
But I see bright young souls yearning
For the Hadra they never had
........................

The Hadra. According to the Wiki.. "Haḍra (Arabic: حضرة‎) is a collective supererogatory ritual performed by Sufi orders. It is often held on Thursday evenings after the night prayer, on Fridays after Jum`a prayer or on Sunday evenings, and can also celebrated on special Islamic festivals and at rites of passage. It may be held at home, in a mosque, in a Sufi hospice or elsewhere. The term in Arabic literally means "presence"..."


Whirling Calling Praising
Whirling, whirling, whirling,
Words pour out of mortal hearts,

Calling, calling, calling,
Prayers stumble from human lips,

Praising, praising, praising,
While the tired pass the night in sleep
Immortals whirl and Nightingales sing,
Drinking the Ocean timeless and deep!
.......................

I have been out of touch with the band of dervishes that make their spiritual home not far from my house. Been busy, ya' know.... with dunya (worldly) matters. He he he.

Missing Kuching. The pictures above however are not from my neighbourhood, but was taken in Kuching, Sarawak on the island of Kalimantan/Borneo. I was there in February this year for the funeral and tahlil of a good man.

Many things in my life have turned and changed in the course of these past couple of months. I wanted to write about them now but strangely it is The Hadra that is written instead.

Perhaps there is a reason that I am unaware of. But sometimes it is okay not to follow too closely the clouds that pass through our thoughts... after all, we are just sinners here.



wa min Allah at-taufiq

Hate has no place in Islam
Love will show the Way 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

MaashaAllah...if I could emulate your thoughts...verily, inspiration is from Allah (and you've got tons, br. Taufiq, maashaAllah!)