Tuesday, August 3, 2010

It's The Thought That Counts. REALLY?


2nd Posting for the day. In honour of the coming month of Ramadhan the Blessed, and my dear departed Mother who passed away more than 8 years ago last May.


I simply don't do enough charity. And I am just too good at rationalising my scrooge-ism. My late mum, God bless her peaceful soul, is my direct opposite. She used to scour the hinter lands up north, especially during the fasting month of Ramadhan, looking for the deserving poor. Not the sort of poor I-only-eat-rice-with-salted-fish, but the so-poor-that-I-am-not-sure-I-have-anything-to-eat category of poverty. Her name was Arba'yah. Her siblings and friends called her Ba'yah. Her nieces and nephews called her Makcik(Auntie). She did not wring her hands and despaired. She stepped out of her comfort zone and she changed things, leaving the world a better place for many whose lives she touched.

May God bless all our mothers who show that sometimes, just thinking about it, simply isn't good enough.