Thursday, January 17, 2013

Following the Wisest Path - the heart and the ego



The Wisest
Last night God made me blush,
And a couple of days ago
He made me feel like I could die,
An hour ago God made me hungry,
And five minutes later He fed me.

No doubt later this evening
He will give me a reason to laugh,
And a reason to smile,
He will give me a reason to cry
And a reason to love,

I reckon that not a moment of my life
Has God left me to my own devices,
And thus I know that those
Who know themselves, know their Maker
And amongst such wise men, I consider them wisest.
....................................

Inward with God, outward with men - such is the nature of the Prophet Muhammad (s.a.w.s), and to some degree, that of his Companions and the Saints. 


Know yourself / self-discovery - what a beautiful, profound and slightly fuzzy-wuzzy hippie goal to have. "Oh, she is taking a year away. To look for herself..." But the journey towards self-discovery is also a journey away from the ego, that malevolently cunning alternate personality that is joined to our body and often deceives us to think that it is us. But my ego is not me. Yet, if you find me in a foul temper, bitter or despairing, selfish, self-consumed and wasteful... I would not blame you if you think that my ego is me after all.

Thus, to reject the ego, to control and bridle it to your heart and your conscience is the way forward. I will not lie, it has not (it is not) easy for me, being a sinner and all, to quell the rampant rebellion of my own ego.

So the journey continues. It is a new morning here in Kuala Lumpur. One more step in the path of eternity, with God, the Prophet, you and me, sunshine.

*all pictures are from my recent trip with Mikhail
to Kuala Kangsar. Didn't want to waste them. He he he.

Have a beautiful day. Have a wise day.

wa min Allah at-taufiq

Hate has no place in Islam
Love will show the Way

No comments: