Monday, June 17, 2013

A DOG'S TALE

"And where did you wander off to just now?"
The dervish asked me.

Going, Coming and Waiting
I would not be wandering
If God did not put the wanderlust in me,
I would not be asking
If God did not put the question in me,
I would not be thirsty for understanding,
If God did not send a thirst in my heart,

I would not be me, 
I would be something totally different,
Had God not touched my life
Through ever changing conditions...

Like the ebb of the tide of the ocean
Like the barking of my companion,
Like the stars in its countless constellations,
I am moved and I am stayed,

Going when I am told to go,
Coming when I am told to come,
Waiting when I am told to wait.
.............................

A Dog's Tale, I often sketch the picture of a wandering dervish. And nowadays he is often accompanied by a dog. If you ask me whether the pictures are in fact autobiographical, I must confess that it is. For I am the dog in the picture.

Sometimes I wish the dervish would put a leash on me, but he wouldn't. "For you must be with me because you want to be with me..."

I do, I really do, but sometimes I just get distracted and wander off, smelling a cat nearby or chasing after butterflies and squirrels.

I do that a lot, even at my age. But I am still with the dervish, after all these years...

Have a lovely day, sunshine.

wa min Allah at-taufiq

Hate has no place in Islam
Love will show the Way

No comments: