Sunday, April 21, 2013

Gaining the Universe by Giving - life, love and the mystery of devotion


The More I Love, The More I Have
I give you all my love,
All my affection and my confidence,
All my yearning and my desire,
All my giving I give to you,
And all my receiving
I wait from you.

I give you all my love,
All my ambition and worldly aspiration,
All my smiles and outer reflection,
All my fears and outer illusion,
All my mirrors, my music, my words,
All the truths that I have learned
From the Congress of the Birds.

I give you all my love,
All my hopes, my sorrows and tears,
All my garden and all its trees,
The root, the trunk, the leaves, the flowers and fruit,
The ruby-like berries ripe under the hovering eaves.

Yet my life I devote to God.

So strange how the more I have for God
The more I have for you…
 ……………………………………………….

I have a new receptionist in the office. He rejoices from the East Malaysian state of Sarawak on the island of Borneo. His body is festooned with tattoos, but nothing warlike at all. In fact he is one of the most soft-spoken young man I have ever known. He doesn't raise his voice, in fact he barely raises his eyes, averting my curious gaze. He makes me feel ashamed of my own lack of discretion and deference. As he is a little shy, I will call him Clark.

Early this week, he shared with me a story. (He said) One day, a saint was to marry his betrothed. And the saint said unto her - "I give you all my love. My life, I give to Allah..."

I used the same yarn on Heche. She replied that it is impossible for me to give her ALL my love because I already have a son. But I think she is (rarely so, but this time) wrong.  

For I truly believe with all the core of this sinner's heart than the more you love, the more you have love to give. And when it is God and His Prophet Muhammad (s.a.w.s.) to whom you devote your life... alhamdulillah... the recompense and reward for you and those whom you love is as wide as Allah's Mercy Ocean.

Unimaginably wonderful. Mystifying in its breadth. As subtle as a raindrop. Awe-inspiring as a Cosmic Storm. And even more than that.

Don't you agree, sunshine? Thank you for agreeing...


wa min Allah at-taufiq

Hate has no place in Islam
Love will show the Way

No comments: