Saturday, November 24, 2012

Just As You Are - people are real, corporations are a myth

A friend.

Just As You Are
Tis’ better to be a master of a small boat,
Than an able seaman of a giant liner,
Tis’ better to be the lady of a cottage,
Than the maid of a mansion,
Tis’ better to cast a small shadow
Than to cast one bigger than yourself,

Diminished, I return to my small abode,
Diminished, I stroll down the quiet road
To my small heart and my small ambition,
To my books and my music,
As I seek solace from my Lord
And hear Him assure me
Time and time again,
Though I deserve no assurance…

 “Others may not see you as a star
But you are quite enough
For Me just as you are.”
…………………………

As a lawyer (for I am one), I take some pride with knowing 'stuff', thinking I 'understand' the world and the working of the human mind. I like to believe that I know 'what's what' and above all, that with all this vast knowledge, I won't let anyone make use of me. 

He he he.

Well, a couple of days ago I was well and truly 'used' by my  client. Completely dropped into the crapper and expected to learn to swim in the deep end of the pool. He he he. But I didn't drown. I managed to get to the pool's edge, but only just. Funnily enough, it was not from any help from my client, but rather the 'other side'. My client was a corporation, and the other side were individual human beings. I guess it should come to no surprise that people are better than corporations. After all, corporations have no feelings or morality.

Even politicians (and this is saying a lot!) are better than limited liability corporations. For at the end of the day, they are still human beings, representing themselves and their personal opinions and ideals, however moral or immoral it may be. A company is a means by which businesses derive maximum profitability with minimum accountability, as a corporate veil comes down upon man's greed and avarice, hiding its unquenchable appetite for money and power behind 'cute', 'friendly' and 'green' slogans, cooked up by their advertising and PR consultants.

I am still bitter at being used, I guess. He he he.

But I am here, and I am still alive and writing. I have done nothing deserving of this, but I have your kind company. So despite all this complains, life is, as always, actually beautiful. Alhamdulillah. 


Thank you, sunshine, for dropping in. Have a wonderful sabbath.

wa min Allah at-taufiq

Hate has no place in Islam
Love will show the Way

No comments: