Friday, November 16, 2012

The Most Impertinent Gift of All - life, love, children and the Prophet Muhammad (s.a.w.s.)



1.      A Clear blue sky, Qasidah Burdah!
I am standing beneath
A clear blue sky,
As the night clouds part
To reveal stars that twinkle
And wink at me,
Trying to winkle from me
A little sigh, a little tear,
A little chuckle,
As I, Taufiq,
Take delight in God’s apparentness,
In the burning fire of stars countless
Light years away from me,

And in the delight of God’s covertness,
In the burning heart of the Prophet’s Companions
So near to me, that I can feel
Their breath upon my cheek,
Their hand upon my hand,

And they are saying,
“O’ Taufiq! What do you desire?”

And I am replying now,
“O’ Stars of my Twilight Sky,
It is your Master that I covet!
.................................

Really I do declare that I am the most greedy person I know. Not happy enough with the delights of this world and the birth of my son some 8 years ago, I still want more. I want the Prophet Muhammad (s.a.w.s.), of all the most impertinent desires that mortal men can hide in the folds of their hearts. 


But the point about divine gifts is that it comes with a qualification, for each thing which we receive, whether it is money and wealth, breath and health, land and friends, has a flip side. With great gifts come great responsibility - For what are we spending our money on? With each breath are we making this world better or worse? If we have health, what are doing with our bodies? And what are we allowing to be built on our lands? And do we take care of our friends, or do we neglect them?

And when it comes to the gift of children, come on... let's face it. We have never been properly trained and educated to fulfill our responsibilities towards them. For Muslims, they would therefore ask for the most impertinent divine gift to help them manage their responsibilities in this life, and that boon is the gift of access and intimacy with the best guide to all Mankind - God's anointed Mercy to the world(s), the Prophet Muhammad (s.a.w.s.).


Of course, he has passed away a long, long time ago. But if you really wanna know, the nature of death and the reality of the after life makes this a wholly technical issue which can be dealt with easily...

Attending to the Prophet(s.a.w.s.)
Attend to the Prophet
And the Prophet will attend to you
Direct your attention to the Prophet
And the Prophet will direct his attention to you
Listen to the Prophet, for he is already speaking to you,
Turn to the Prophet, for he is already gazing to you,
From a place far,  far away
But very, very near.
.........................

wa min Allah at-taufiq

Hate has no place in Islam
Love will show the Way

No comments: