Thursday, December 30, 2010

You Are The Qiblat To Your Children


TEACHING MIKA TO PRAY. I tried teaching Mika how to pray. I placed the sejadah (prayer mat) in the direction of the qiblat (the Muslim direction of prayers toward the Holy Kaaba, Mecca). He keeps furtively glancing at me, giggling, and when we prostrated together, slowly but surely, he started to turn towards me.

YOU ARE THE QIBLAT TO YOUR CHILDREN. It is a heavy responsibility, to be the qiblat for our children. But it is true, especially at that young age of about 2 – 10 years, when in the eyes of your children, you appear to do no wrong, you are the wisest and bestest mother / father that they, in their limited experience, can imagine. I am not a great dad, of this I am sure. I hope to be conventionally an 'okay' father. Wish me luck!

SUPERMAN AND WONDERWOMAN. The truth is less pure, and we know we have our weaknesses, we have made mistakes and every day is a constant struggle to let our hearts lead us towards love and compassion for all living creatures. But for this brief decade which shall pass faster than a blink of an eye, you are your children’s Superman and Wonderwoman.

I know we all share the same feelings for our own father and mother. Praise to God and the Most Praised, how can we not be brothers and sisters?!

.

Have a nice day, sunshine.

Pax Taufiqa.

No comments: