Tuesday, October 9, 2012

The Hunter, the Hunted and a Single Shot of Chai


The Hunter, the Hunted and the Single Shot of Chai
I am hunted by the Hunter, though it was He who set me free, 
Ever near, indeed nearer than my jugular is He to me, 
For the longest time He has been pursuing me, 
Through my happiness and its beautiful meadows, 
Across my sadness in the valley of sorrows, 
Wherever I go, the Hunter knows! 

In earnest pursuit of me comes the Hunter, 
With steely deliberation He chases his quarry, 
That is me, the deer lost in the witch's forest, 
The sinner who has forgotten he is a servant, 
A logician who has forgotten his reason, 
A winter frost waiting for a better season, 
The hunted of the Hunter... 

And now this prey is tired of running... 
I am waiting for God at this coffee bar, 
A single shot of chai turning 
Beneath a glittering sky full of stars.
........................................

Well, God never did show up yesterday. So I finished the chai (milky tea) all by myself. But then, He has always been here, hasn't He? Closer to us than our jugular veins, He says He is. So I must still be blind. Not blind in my vision, but blind in my heart. You would have thought that for someone who has read and written copious copies about God, the Prophet (s.a.w.) and Love, I would have a better instinct. 

We verily created man and We know what his soul whispereth to him, 
and We are nearer to him than his jugular vein. (Quran 50:16, Marmaduke Pickthall)

Alas, not. I am still me. Trying to be more good, trying to be less bad... while finishing this new cup of tea on this bright new morning.

But this time perhaps my heart would wake up from its sleepy stupor to His gentle proddings and finally see God next to me, waiting patiently to be offered some tea...

He he he.

Have a lovely day, sunshine. Have some tea and invite God. Brew a cup of love and just wait...


wa min Allah at-taufiq

Hate has no place in Islam
Love will show the Way

No comments: