Thursday, February 7, 2013

I Write. I Am Not Always Right - for Muhammad (s.a.w.s.)


For Muhammad
I am the cloud, and I am raining for him,
I am the river, and I am flowing for him,
I am the sea, and I am both stormy and calm for him,
I am the tiger, and I roam and hunt for him,
I am the cow, and I give milk for him,
I am the bee and I make honey for him
And protect my hive from the bear for him,

I am the sun, and I shine bright for him,
I am the moon, and I illuminate the night for him,
I am a man, and I laugh and smile,
I love and I cry,  live, work, play 
And die for him,

Were he not created first of all,
None of us would be here at all,

Not the prophets nor the saints,
Not the saintly nor the sinners,
Not the devil and his minions,
Nor Mikha'il and his brethren,
Not the Sun nor the Moon,
Not heaven, hell nor Earth,
Not the tiger, the honey bear 
Or the bees would be...

Till he is.
............................

Hey, sunshine. I record all these prose venerating the Prophet Muhammad (s.a.w.s.). And indeed, it is true that my friends often cry thinking about the Prophet (s.a.w.s.). I do too. But I know myself all to well to give any credit to my feelings. Is it sincere, or merely crocodile tears? And I often smile and laugh over the very human stories of the Companions and Saints of the Prophet (s.a.w.s.). The stories are often anecdotal with human drama, wit and irony. 

But I do not trust myself, nor my tears nor my laughter. Even these words laid out here in the almanac, they may be true as to its content (I say so myself), but whether I am true to my own words... Alas, please ask God (s.w.t.) and his Beloved Prophet (s.a.w.s.) that question. 

I write, yes. But I am not always right. There is a terminology to describe my condition - a sinner.

But I am also a happy sinner. For as I live my sinful life, I often meet saintly people, and they do not spurn me nor my friendship. They are strong in their faith, patient in their tribulations, exemplifying tolerance, understanding, kindness and love for their fellow human beings, and all creatures in the known Universe and across all dimensions and worlds. They are the sort of people that the Prophet once referred to - they are those from whom no one need fear anything, whether from their mouth nor from their hands. The Prophet called them, my people... the Muslims.

A Muslim
And the best thing of all, if you ask such people, "Are you a Muslim?" They will always reply, "I am trying my best to be. So help me." These people have left the world of labels and illusory titles and names behind. Besotted as they are by the Greatest Artist behind the Greatest Art that is this beautiful world. And verily, God first created the finest of all being, Muhammad, Beloved of Allah.

Well, that is sorted. I am packing for a trip to Kuching, Sarawak, sunshine. A fresh grave, a house, a friend and a family will be my abode for the next few days. I plan this to be a walking trip. May God and His Prophet (s.a.w.s.) guide me best, for I am always lost, dumb and often confounded by my own imagination and ego run riot.

wa min Allah at-taufiq

Hate has no place in Islam
Love will show the Way  

No comments: