Friday, February 1, 2013

EMBRACING ISLAM, EMBRACING HUMANITY


Mikhail, 9 years and 1 day old today.

Embracing Islam
I was born to a Muslim family,
With a Muslim father and mother,
Who gave me a Muslim name.

But today I embrace Islam,
As I do each and every day,
Sometimes beautifully like a dance,
Sometimes terribly like a wrestling match,
Sometimes awkwardly like the bride
Meeting her groom with their very first kiss.

The Prophet, His Companions and His Saints
All help me embrace Islam better,
My ego, the Devil and his minions
All distract me from my attempts
To embrace Islam.

So for this moment, at this very second
I am also embracing Islam,
And with each breath I borrow from the Prophet,
It is he and no other
Who embraces me
In return.

Ever gently,
Ever lovingly…

………………

The message brought by the Messenger of God, Muhammad (s.a.w.) is simple. It is the belief in one God, the very same God that is worshiped and praised by believers the world over, whether you are a Dakotan in the prairies of North America, whether you are an Eskimo in the Artic, whether you are a Caucasian, African, Asian or a member of any one of the numerous sub-sets of humanity.

My late mum, Arbayah sitting on a bench somewhere in Southern England

I think it is a beautiful message, clear and certain, and relevant now as it was all those long years ago, when Muhammad (s.a.w.s.) was ordered to declare the faith and the message for which he was born to bring forth into the world.

Those who dwell in witchcraft will say he was a sorcerer. Those who are wordsmiths will say he was a seditious poet, those who live for religious dogmas will say he was a heretic. But for those who fell in love with Muhammad (s.a.w.s.), there is nothing to say but “He glanced my way…

I am not a good man. I rather think myself selfish and ignorant. But if Islam is the message of embracing our common humanity, how can I not embrace my brothers and my sisters, however they may be dressed in their religion?

And for me to be counted as a nation of Muhammad, is there any other path but to embrace humanity?


Have a lovely Friday, sunshine.

wa min Allah at-taufiq

Hate has no place in Islam
Love will show the Way 

No comments: