Tuesday, February 26, 2013

SEA, EARTH, SKY - the blank canvas of Mankind


Sea, Earth, Sky
I am the Sea,
And the wake of the ships
That pass upon me
Keeps me awake
At night,

I am the Earth,
And the rivers that carve their path
Through my valleys and meadows
Leaves me happy and
Desiring more of
Their company.

I am the Sky,
And the birds that fly in me
Makes me wonder where
They are flying to,
And whether I can
Come too.
.............................

This almanac is called the Sinners Almanac. But of course, if you read it there is a clear tone of writing - spiritual, mystical, dervish-like and Sufi-esque. 

But I am no Sufi.

I am barely a human being, barely a father, barely a son, a brother or a friend. I am not gifted with a generosity of spirit (I can be very bitter sometimes), kindness (I am quite selfish, you know) or particularly knowledgeable (Hahaha! Of course I don't really know much about anything!).

Yet I am blessed. For however stormy is my Sea, however unkind and barren my Earth may appear, and however empty my Sky can be, the truth is that people have come into my life, with their generosity, kindness and knowledge. Filling my perception of life and this world with great love and empathy that they project. Where do they learn such virtues? I wonder...

It is our pursuit to clean the canvas of our own life, so that when Allah (s.w.t.) through His Habibullah (s.a.w.s.), Companions and Saints project the True Perception of the True Reality that is Love upon our hearts, we might be able to see and understand better.

This is a good pursuit, I think.

wa min Allah at-taufiq

Hate has no place in Islam
Love will show the Way

 

No comments: