Thursday, April 28, 2011

Your Most Beautiful Profile Is Your Conscience


198. Bright Lantern
If you are given a shining lantern,
But persist in wandering with your eyes shut,
Do not then say to God,
That you are still stumbling in the dark.

This poem was posted earlier in 'The Shining Lanterns, the Mother of All Jihads and the Garden of God" (Click Here). I have always wanted to sketch it though, so here it is, fresh from my pen and pencil. I hope you like it, sunshine.

Life is too good, and too important to ignore our Lantern-Conscience. But as a sinner, I am very good at it. Often I ignore my conscience not because it is impossible, but simply because it is an inconvenience to me. Yes, I can be appalling that way.

Sufis like to say that nothing is trivial, what more our conscience? How I wish I was like that - to be in a state of constant obedience to the flaming lantern that God has lit to brighten our mortal path. But if that wish had come true, your sinner would have already sprouted wings and be playing dominoes with the Archangels right this very moment. And I probably won't be able to blog as often as I can now. And God knows the broadband connection in heaven...

"Taufiq with his endless excuses and pretext!," I could hear an angel muttering behind a cloud. Hehehe.

But seriously, follow your conscience, sunshine. It is your most beautiful profile.

Pax Taufiqa.

No comments: