Sunday, December 4, 2011

Sickness, a Book Project and Mika's Just-In-Case Fund - Books connect us

4. A little unwell
I am a little unwell,
And I am saddened I have nothing to write today,
No love letters, no damning reports,
Just another old soul, huffing and wheezing,
Shuffling from pantry to bed,
From bed to book,
Oh Love!
No passions to be reckoned today
But bitter pills and running noses.

DIET. Your humble chronicler of the Sinners Almanac has been unwell for the past couple of weeks. So he has been a good boy and staying home of late. He missed one birthday party and one funeral already. At 41 years old, time is always a scarce resource, so he hopes to make up for it soonest he is back to his fighting fit self. Being diabetic, it takes me about 3 times longer to get better, compared to a non-diabetic. So for those sugar addicts out there... I hope you will watch your diet.

BOOKS. My convalescence has however permitted me to finally finish 2 books. Bill Bryson's 'At Home. A short history of private life' and a 100 years history of the United Kingdom entitled 'This Sceptred Isle: Twentieth Century' written by Christopher Lee (A historian and not the actor playing Dracula in the 60s and 70s). As always Bryson's book is packed full of interesting and diverting trivia, and as this book is about the history of private life and homes, it DOES cover a lot about the development of the modern house concept. But being Bryson, he cannot resist amassing other bits and ends of trivia in such unlikely topics as the bat guano industry, Victorian ideal of childhood to the fad of women's corsets. The second book is a very readable summary of Britain's 100 years history in the past century. Engaging and thoughtfully written, if a little right wing.

THE PROPHET'S BOOK. I am also finally resolved to prepare my second collection of poetry. The first book, 'A Cup of Storm - Love letters from a sinner' is a runaway success with at least 10 books sold (so my Publisher, PoetsDemocracy, informs me). The second book shall also all be about love, but this time revolving on the love, life and ideal of Muhammad Habibullah, the Prophet of Islam and last Messenger of God. Indeed, to be perfectly honest here, it will be written for him. Yes, yes... I know he has passed away some 1,300 years ago. And of course I don't expect I will be able to give a copy of the book to the Prophet personally, but I am sure he will know about the book soon enough. That is the perk of being so pally-wally with the Almighty God.

The Just-in-case Fund. Mikhail was on the bed, counting his money. I asked him whether he wanted to put the money in the piggy bank. He replied, "No, Papa. This is my just-in-case money." Money of course cannot buy you happiness, but I guess it is only sensible to have a just-in-case fund for that just-in-case moments when you are faced with unexpected expenditure. And I think this is true even for a 7-year old. 

How has this Sunday been for you, sunshine? It has been raining cats, dogs, turtles and hippos here in Kuala Lumpur.

wa min Allah at-taufiq

Hate has no place in Islam
Love will show the Way

No comments: