Friday, May 11, 2012

The Nightingale and The Uncle - a journey of 8 years


2. Swayed and Hummed (Amirul)
I swayed and hummed,
Standing in a row,
While the nightingale sang,
Yearning for a morrow on
Which no sorrow hang.
Dreaming awake,
With a voice
Raised
Above
The cosmic quake.

I met him later.
The nightingale bowed,
While shyly taking my hand
With a smile
As sweet
As his song.
.......................

When I took my first shy step into the pool of the Sufis, I came back with my mind blown away and my heart singing a wonderful tune. It was in 2004, and I attended my first morning sohbet (sermon of sorts) by a Sufi Master from the United States.

I was smiling ear to ear as I recounted to my brother, friends and relatives about this truly awesome thing called 'Islam'. Oh I have had my early childhood Islamic education through to high school and college, but nothing prepared me for this. Nothing except a yearning that spirituality and religion must somehow be derived from that basic human emotion that people call 'Love'. And this I found amongst the Sufis of Kuala Lumpur.

It was here also that I first heard and met Amirul the Sarawakian. A young man with long dark hair and a delicately beautiful face. I heard him reciting verses from the Holy Quran, and thought - WoW. Later I bumped into him at a coffeeshop nearby. (all of my important transactions and meetings somehow always happen at coffeeshops) He told me that he was studying the recitation and memorization of the Holy Quran. Later I also found out that he was an unconventional sort of student, in that he loved music and skateboarding. In the same year I was introduced by my friend Shahzad to Ariffin, Amirul's uncle, and duly joined the law firm founded by them both. 8 years on and here I am still with Ariffin and our motley crew of hombres in Messrs Ariffin Shahzad.

* pic courtesy of Madinil

Amirul is now married and the young couple is expecting a child. The Nightingale has left home and found a nest all for his own.

And what of his uncle Ariffin - my law partner and soul-brother? I call him Umar nowadays and presently Umar is taking part in an interesting project, the story of which I shall certainly share with you as it unfolds, insyaAllah. 

May Love light the way for all our young (and old) friends... How dull life would be without them.

Have a friendful Friday, sunshine.

wa min Allah at-taufiq

Hate has no place in Islam
Love will show the Way

No comments: