Thursday, January 5, 2012

Humility is not adornment but the Beautiful House of the Human Soul

A young aspirant upon the Path desires enlightenment. But he makes a great show of his humility, speaking  his mind, "I do want to give everything up. I do want to serve mankind, I do want to prostrate before God, baring my self, outside the skin of my deceit. But I want to make a show of it. An operatic display."

A mature gentleman was sitting with the kid. The older veteran of soul's war with the ego smiled at the fresh passion of his young companion. Then he said to the aspirant, "Read this..", passing a raggedy piece of note paper, with spells written in untidy script -

The Fashion of Humility
It is not everything to wear a beard,
A turban, a hijab or a nun’s habit,

For enlightened humility
Is in the discernment you wear on your lips
Not to speak with malice,
The veil you cast over your eyes
Not to see with avarice,
The wisdom that you grow in your heart
Not to entertain hubris,
The constant of your patience,
Not the whim of your caprice,
The kindness of your hands
Not to be raised in anger,
The radiance of your soul
As a sinner, servant and believer,
A fashion that shall never grow old
Whatever knowledge you deign
To cherish in your breast
Or display as an adornment.
.....................................

Humility is not an adornment, it is that which is adorned. Humility is not a dress, a garb, a perfume or piece of clothing. It is that which is dressed or perfumed. Everything else are fixtures and fittings to an already Beautiful House of the Human Soul, be it a man or a woman.

If you find one such person, do tell me about him/her. I myself have found a few, but I am always looking...


Have a beautiful day, sunshine.

wa min Allah at-taufiq

Hate has no place in Islam
Love will show the Way

Pictures - From student days in Leeds, circa 1993.

No comments: