Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Doubt and the Honey of Certainty

15. I appreciate Doubt
Doubt is my enemy.
But I have my Captain on my side,
While Doubt stands alone.
And when my Captain blinks,
Doubt perishes,
Becoming a mere moment of uneasiness
In an Eternity of contentment and happiness.

So you see,
I appreciate Doubt,
Because if there was no Doubt,
The Honey of Certainty would pale in taste.


I had a chat with a friend. I asked him, "Are you certain in your belief of the Prophet Muhammad?" And he replied, "No. Otherwise I would not be doing bad things, and I would certainly be doing more good things."

But I disagreed. I think that we all have certain beliefs that are sacrosanct. After all, most people will tell you that they are 110% certain till the day they die that they are loved by their mothers and fathers. And our parents teach us all to do good and avoid being a problem to ourselves, our family and the community. Yet sometimes we fumble the ball. We do a googly and make some mistakes. We can become immoral, and steal, cheat and lie. Or we can become super-moral and become lost in our hubris and pride of our 'piety' and sense of righteousness. We become the sort of people that others avoid at parties.

The truth is the doubt which we all share is doubt in ourselves. Not in God, by whatever name you may call Him. For years we have been confounded by our own self-doubt. In our inability to appreciate our true potential and promise as a human being. If you cannot find that certainty in yourself, you will never truly benefit from the certainty that you have in the people whom you love and who love you back. God included. Because you do not trust yourself. But how can you trust yourself when you have not found yourself...?

So have a good day searching, sunshine. The Honey of Certainty is you.


wa min Allah at-taufiq

Hate has no place in Islam
Love will show the Way

No comments: