Friday, February 3, 2012

The Void of Meaning That Make up Us - Friday Contemplation with Nun Tuck


The Void of Meaning That Make Up Us
After a long sabbatical, the Nun is back at her Almanac, doing what she does best - writing about God and mankind. In her most recent posting she wrote something which triggered something else in my head. This was what she had to say - "I have also discovered that this meaning making is only eked out in relationship with others, it is the ONLY way we gather context in order to do any kind of self-examination." This is from her article entitled 'Word Up Socrates' (Click Here to read). It is only through interaction and conversation with others do we fill up the void of meaningsthat make up us.

Reason For Creation
How right she is. I am thus reminded of that oft-quoted Sufi proverb (quoted in this Almanac many times before) about the reason for creation by God, in which God said, "I was a hidden jewel, and I desired to be known." And truly, there was no need for God to create, it was only His desire to be known and acknowledged that prompted His creation of the heavens and the earths and all its inhabitants.

Breakfast At Alai
When I went for breakfast early this morning, the cashier of the small tea-shop finally acknowledged me as a habitual customer. He asked me, "How are you?" To which I replied that I was very fine, thank you very much. I don't think I was particularly fine, to be honest. But his acknowledgement and friendly greeting woke me up from my state of half-consciousness.

Good Morning, God!
So this morning, I wish to do the same for God and say good morning to God, and inquire as to His state. I know that I shall never understand the expanse of His condition, Him being God and all. But I think it is simple courtesy. And I also wish to welcome Nun Tuck back to her almanac. May her pen never run dry.

Have a wonderful Friday, sunshine.

wa min Allah at-taufiq

Hate has no place in Islam
Love will show the Way

No comments: