Tuesday, February 21, 2012

I Am Writing a Prose of Postures & Words - the Muslim Five

I Pray a Prose of Postures & Words
First it was a choice
And a passing fancy,
Secondly, it became an obligation
And a pious chore,
Then it became a choice once again
And I did as I pleased once more,
Before returning as an obligation
And a firm habit,
Then it became a part of history
That I am writing...
A prose of postures and words
Passed through the ages.

Now I claim to know nothing,
But take it all
A day at a time,
Five times a day,
From sunrise to sunset.

The Prophet once shared that of all things in this world, there are three which evokes his great affection... “Made beloved to me from your world are women and perfume, and the coolness of my eyes is in prayer.”

How fond I am of people who have found similar affections in their lives. There are undoubted meanings within meanings contained in the Prophet's traditions, but of the three, I am today curious about prayers. And this is what one man shared with me just a moment ago...

"Life is about perception, and in your perception you create and carry the world within you. From the moment you open your eyes until you close them for the last time, you bear the burden of your actions, and the actions of others in the world of your consciousness. The prayers obligated upon you is not for God's sake, but for your own sake - To rest awhile, to take stock of the past few hours, to lean against the Oneness of God in the Oneness of your intimacy. To turn away from the world but for a few moments to gaze upon the True Reality in your honoured state of servanthood, prostrating as you are, before the Utter Mastery of He Whom we all worship."

I asked him in response, "Have you felt so passionately in your prayers?" He laughed and replied ruefully, "If I did, do you think I would still be here? No, my friend, I am not 'there'. But the journey to get 'there' is beautiful. So I am thankful for what is granted now, and hopeful for what may be granted later."

May you find peace and tenderness in your own prayers, sunshine, however you may be praying to our One God.


Pax Taufiqa

Hate has no place in Islam
Love will show the Way

No comments: