Thursday, March 15, 2012

I WILL KEEP YOUR SECRET AND YOU WILL KEEP MINE - a little story about merciful secrets


In a book I once read, the title of which now evades my memory, is a short little Sufi tale. The tale really just revolves around a subtle dialogue between God and a Saint. And like all delicate things, it is open to be misconstrued and misunderstood. But this warning can be given to almost any book, so we shall proceed nonetheless. I am doing this because I think it is a beautiful reflection of the intimacy between God and His Creation. Alright, here it is...

The Story
In the story, the Voice of God was heard by a Saint. God said, "Shall I disclose to the people about you and the secret thoughts and feelings emanating within your heart? Shall I tell them of your hidden sentiments, far-flung as it is from the ordinary and outer form of your faith, so scandalous that the people will catch you and stone you?"

The Saint did not ponder long before he replied, "O' Lord! Shall I tell the people of Your infinite Mercy, so that they will never again bow and prostrate before You in prayers?"

To which God answered, "Alright then. I shall keep your secret and you will keep Mine."
...............................

Rest your eyes, for you look tired. Rest your soul, for you are weary of looking. Sit by this story and take what goodness and secrets there are for you to take here. God bless and may you have a perfectly wonderful day, sunshine.

wa min Allah at-taufiq

Hate has no place in Islam
Love will show the Way

No comments: