Tuesday, July 3, 2012

If Love is Trying To Drown You, Why Struggle? - the challenging quest of comprehending God and Love


94. I heard this somewhere, I read this somewhere
You say you love God,
Say instead that you love
The idea of God,

For if God has wrecked
Your ship on the rocks
Of fate, why then are you
Still holding on to
Floating planks?
...............

I am guilty of speaking easily about love, that four letter word that has conquered hate and hubris, been the fountain of many happy marriages, a constant inspiration for poets, singers and songwriters and has brought evil empires and tyrants down to heel. Love, simple to comprehend, is difficult to master for sinners like myself, who is still here in the kindergarten of Love, the biggest 'little boy' in the playground.

I don't know about you, but I am in love with the idea of God most of the time, and actually loving God during brief storms of clarity that has dashed my ship against the rocks that surround the shores of my soul. And even then, I am afraid that I often gasp for air and cling to the row or any other floating plank close at hand. For you see, I am not really very good with this love malarkey.

The angels often comment that it was my weight that ultimately sank my boat, and not love. But what do angels know?


Thus I am, my friend. Weak and prone to selfishness, conceited and often ruled by a hot temper. It is just my luck that God and the Prophet(pbuh) has populated my corner of the Mercy Ocean with saintly friends, family and sainted masters that would come to my rescue and heave my soaking wet self on board. But perhaps I was always destined to be a stowaway on someone else's ship. For I know that left to myself, I shall never be able to venture far into the beautiful blue waters of God's Mercy Ocean. Oh no, now that I think about it, I am not complaining at all. But before I conclude, I must ask you this -

The Question
If you are about to journey across God's Mercy Ocean,
Why are you wearing a life-jacket?
And if Love is trying 
To drown you,
Why struggle?

Hehehe.

wa min Allah at-taufiq

Hate has no place in Islam
Love will show the Way

No comments: