Monday, July 2, 2012

Salman and the Best Mirror in all Creation - song and hymn writing in different languages


1. Find a Native Speaker
There is simply no way
For you to write nasyids
And mauluds in another
Language. The best you
Can and ought to do,
Is to find a native speaker
And share a mirror
Together. There is really
No other way to grasp
The nuances and inflection
Of a different nation.

Salman al Farsi knew this,
But he was blessed to find
The Best Mirror of Hijaz
And the Best Mirror of all Creation!
....................

I wish I could understand Arabic, both modern and ancient. Perhaps I shall find time to study, but oh boy, nowadays I am in such a hurry.

Amongst the earlier Grand Shaykhs of the Naqshbandi Order is Salman al Farsi (Salman the Persian), and I am fond of him because he was a non-Arab. When some of the naughtier Companions raised issue that he(Salman) did not belong to any renowned Arab family or clan, the Prophet heard of this and said, "Salman is of my House..."

Thus he was fortunate to find a sympathetic heart, a heart most renowned in kindness, not only in Hijaz, but indeed in all of creation - Muhammad Habibullah(pbuh). Now I am wondering if Salman ever wrote any Arab hymns and songs (nasyid and mawluds) in praise of God and in praise of the Prophet(pbuh)... Or perhaps in his native Persian?

If you know, sunshine... do share with me!

wa min Allah at-taufiq

Hate has no place in Islam
Love will show the Way

No comments: