Friday, June 10, 2011

My Ethnic History and God

Blood works for everyone. Whether you are Muslim, Hindu, Christian, Jew, Buddhist, Wiccan, or a firm believer in Astrology, Numerology or the Ouija Board. Within the appropriate blood type, the chance for my life is in your veins and yours is in mine. This is just one of countless signs and clues that our One Creator has posted up inside us, to tell us, to cajol us and encourage us, "Come on guys! Get along!"

My son has had 5 doctors looking over him through his 7 years. A Punjabi lady doctor helped bring him into this world, a Malay doctor circumcised him 2 weeks after his birth, another Malay doctor looked after him for 4 years, then a Punjabi male doctor and now currently, a Chinese doctor, who also happens to be my father's former colleague. And through it all, who cares what the doctor is, so long as he/she is caring and professional? And they all were good to Mikhail.

My dad likes to recount how he owed his good fortune to 3 teachers when he was in high school. My father, a Malay, came from a very poor family, so he did not have much money or even books to read. The teachers saw that my dad was hard working but penniless and skinny. They all gave him extra lessons and lent him books, one even gave him money once a month to buy chickpeas. And when the examination time came, these teachers were the ones who chipped in together to pay for my dad's exam fees. And they were all Indians.

They asked for nothing in return only saying, "Make sure you do your best, Khalid." An advice which my dad obsessively struggled to meet, and the rest, as they say, is history.

Our parents' history are our history, and one day, our children will look back at our past and find out how they ended up where they are. So it is important for us, sunshine, to live our days (which sometimes appear so mundane) with grace and gratitude - with love and understanding for all mankind. That is the highest hope of God for us. And like my dad, I think it would be great if we can obsessively strive to fulfill the hopes and aspirations which our common benefactor (aka God) has for us. I know you can do it!

Have a lovely Friday, pet. Wuu HUU!

Pax Taufiqa.

No comments: