Thursday, June 9, 2011

Your Happiness Took Mine Away


I was sitting on my own, finishing up my morning writing in a busy food stall located just outside my neighbourhood mosque when unexpectedly a small family took the table in front of me. There were mom and dad (about my age, I reckon) and two daughters and one boy. The kids must be somewhere between 7 to 10 years of age. They were having their breakfast and laughing and joking around. They looked happy.

No matter how contented I was having breakfast by myself, their joyful presence stole away my contentment. And I don’t know really… will I ever get married again? Will I ever have a complete family again?

It is a feeling that was coursing through my veins at that moment. But the welling up of tears behind my dark brown eyes bear witness that it was more than a feeling.


TEARS
All tears
Are silent prayers
To a Lord All-Seeing
All-Knowing and
All Loving.


Yes, pet. I do want to be married again. And one day I shall take out Mr. and Mrs. Taufiq, with Mikhail and who-knows-who-else out for breakfast at this very same stall. We shall be laughing and joking around, eating the delicious murtabak in the crisp morning air. And perhaps just like this beautiful family in front of me, without realising it we too shall steal away someone’s contentment in his solitary breakfast.

Have a lovely day, sunshine. Regardless whether you are alone or in the bosom of a loving family…

Pax Taufiqa.

No comments: