Tuesday, April 10, 2012

The Equations, The Wahdatul-thingy, Ibnu Arabi and the Umbrella...

Oh ho, umbrella is enough, is it?
Wahdatul Wujud that, sunshine!
In an earlier posting entitled 'The Divine Mathematics of Love' (Click Here), this brief equation was sketched…
On a Facebook comment, a reader adjusted the equation thus ….
So I had to contend with two different equations, and the outcomes (Surprise! Surprise!) are different. This is my conclusion (take into consideration that I am bad, bad, bad at maths. In fact, come to think of it, I am bad in general.): -


For this equation the solution must be that the Heart, at all points of the equation must have the value of One. Ergo, 1 x 1 = 1. I call this the Wahdatul Wujud stage. Which speaks of the Absolute Oneness of God, beyond which there is nothing. Not even ‘nothing’. There is only God, and He is One.


For the second equation the solution (I am thinking) must be that the first Heart must have the value of One, and the second having the value of 0. Ergo, 1 + 0 = 1. And of course this kinda brings the doctrine of Wahdatul Shuhud into the picture, which expresses the state of witnessing by the created (us mankind and the rest) towards the Absolute Oneness of God. And since there cannot be any addition to God (He is after all beyond adding or subtracting in any sense that we know), necessarily the second Heart (you and I and the cat named Moses) must have the ultimate value of 0. Yipee. Just like my form 1 maths teacher who once prophesied, "Taufiq, you will amount to nothing!"

So you can call me Mr.Smarty Pants, but what does this all mean to our daily life? How does this ‘knowledge’ improve our standard of living? But its usefulness on a general basis is limited, because even in a spiritual or theological debate, bringing in the wahdatul effect is like closing the topic down for good, because no sense can came out of it, and really there is no reply to it…

14. Whao.
To bring wahdatul wujud
To confirm your argument
Is to bring a Sun
To light a candle.

In the past I have been gently rebuked by concerned citizens that even Ibnu Arabi (the current Saint-in-station of the wahdatul wujud – wahdatul shuhud dichotomy) warned aspirants of the Path from contemplating this unique dogma which seems to suggest that God must be everything and nothing all at the same time. Are we really here? Are we not here? Is God here? Where is here? As for me, I am not too worried. Because if I see grey skies overhead, I make sure I carry my umbrella…

8. Rainy Days & Wahdatul Wujud
In rainy days,
It is my umbrella that shelters me,
And a beggar is better comforted with coins and food
Than any understanding of Wahdatul Wujud.

And at the end of it all, ‘understanding’ without experience is like having the Kama Sutra manual but going to bed alone every night. It just adds to the frustration, you know?

Have a joyous day, sunshine. And I promise, no more maths after this.

wa min Allah at-taufiq

Earlier postings on Wahdatul Wujud / Shuhud:
• Wahdatul-Wujud
The Magpie and Ibn Arabi, Wahdatul Wujud and Wahdatul Shuhud

Hate has no place in Islam
Love will show the Way

No comments: