Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Floating my Boat and Praying against Tsunami - Mikhail in the U.S.A. 2012

Mika with his Nenek in the City of Angels, California. Tired-out after the long flight.
Whatever floats your boat. Mikhail & Co have safely arrived in Los Angeles on Monday evening. I think yesterday they have already visited the Magic Kingdom a.k.a. Disneyland. I hope everyone enjoyed themselves. I recall a while back, driving to dinner with my 8 year old son and asking Mika which restaurant he thinks we ought to visit. My midget surly teenager simply replied, "Papa, whatever floats your boat."

So I hope Disneyland floated his boat.


He also said that when he finds Mickey Mouse, he was gonna kick him. So I hope that happened too. [postscript 2 hours later... Well, Mika called just now and my mistake. They haven't gone to Disneyland yet, so the day of reckoning for the giant rodent is postponed until Thursday. What they did yesterday was to gawk at the celebrities' mansions. As fate would have it they saw Simon Cowell being limo driven out of his house in Beverly Hills. It may have floated some people's boat but my son was quite unaffected. The trip to Universal Studios today, might just do the job.]

An earlier incident in Narita Airport... The flight from Kuala Lumpur to LA had a transit stop at Narita International Airport, Tokyo. As Mika was disembarking, he was accompanied by his grandmother, Nenek. But just as he stepped off the plane he suddenly stopped and whispered to himself, within earshot of Nenek, "Hmm. I am not gonna take any chances. Tokyo is famous for its tsunamis." Then he proceeded to pray a short du'a asking God to cancel whatever tsunami that might be scheduled to rampage down Tokyo Bay.

"I better not take any chances..."

Well, as it turned out, there was no Tsunami. "Safe and sound in LA..." I bet he is thinking. I hope nobody tells him that Los Angeles is a mere 40 miles away from the nearest southern segment of the San Andres Fault, a continental transform fault that has been the cause of many earthquakes in the West Coast of U.S.

Don't anyone show this to Mikhail.

Otherwise, I am pretty sure Mikhail would start praying very, very hard there also.

2. Did You Pray?
I cannot recall.

I do remember folding paper ships
And setting them upon the water
A gentle breeze from Qubruz came 
And carried them away

As I waved them farewell
I caught my reflection in the water
To find the face smiling back at me
Belonged to another.
..............

Have a lovely day, sunshine. I will, but I miss my son. I am told that he purchased a t-shirt for me already with his own pocket money. 

wa min Allah at-taufiq

Hate has no place in Islam
Love will show the Way

No comments: