Monday, July 18, 2011

Smile, Love, Music and Fools - Avril Lavigne

The things you can do with Photoshop nowadays...
Avril Lavigne’s latest single “Smile” (Click Here) has been drumming in my head for the past week. She has toned down her angst ridden prose to write a happy song full of profound lyrics…

'Crazy Bitch'
 You know that I’m a crazy bitch
I do what I want, when I feel like it
All I wanna do is lose control
But you don’t really give a shit
Ya go with it, go with it, go with it
‘Cause you’re fuckin’ crazy
Rock n’ roll…

…[chorus]
And that’s why I smile.
It’s been a while
Since everyday and everything has felt this right
And now
You turn it all around
And suddenly you’re all I need
The reason why,
I-i-i, I smi-i-i-ile…

I have not written about Avril in any postings, but in an earlier write up on music entitled God, Prophet and Rock &Roll, I did refer to one of her songs (I didn’t even know she wrote it) ‘Breakaway’ sung by Kelly Clarkson. The (mad) metamorphosis of a pop ballad into spiritual music is explored there in some detail (Links below).

Having to read a bit about this Canadian songstress, I found out that she was divorced in 2009 from her husband (former lead singer of Sum 41). And that somehow saddens me. I was just mentioning last week to my brother, how I found it positively sweet that many musicians, especially Americans, tend to marry early, in spite of the appalling divorce rate in the USA. Here in Malaysia, the statistics are just as disappointing.

So as one divorcee to another, I hope Avril will find another mate, and hopefully this time their union will last longer.

Love makes fools of all of us. But sometimes, being in love and foolish is the only way that this life is worth living. Who am I kidding? It is ALL THE TIME that way. And guess what, sunshine? The bigger your lover, the bigger the fool you may become – So if you choose God, or are chosen by God Himself to be in the congregation of his servants and lovers – then prepare thyself to appear foolish many, many times over.

So it is good, if you become associated with the way of the mystics, to have a healthy sense of irony, self-effacement and the ability not to take yourselves too seriously.

After all,you don’t want to appear more foolish than you really are… Or do you?


Hehehe.

Pax Taufiqa.

Some previous musical postings -
God, Prophet and Rock & Roll
God, Prophet and Rock & Roll - Part 2
God took away my chance to die young - The Band Perry
In the Temple of Love there was George Benson... and Almighty God had a question to ask.

No comments: