Tuesday, August 2, 2011

GOD'S GLUE FACTORY - Prose of Ramadhan Part 8

A couple of days earlier, I recorded a prose entitled ‘I won’t stay to say goodbye’ which was kindly hosted by the faithful barkeep of the Camel Saloon, Mr. Streur. Click Here to read the entire poem, but this is how it begins –

O’ fear, you have long haunted me,
O’ failure, you have long dogged my steps,
O’ hate, you have long coloured my view,
O’ misery, you follow upon your brethren’s way
And often darken my day…

ONE STEP. Fasting in Ramadhan is not just about restraining from eating and drinking from sunrise to sunset. At the centre of its purpose, it is also to restrain ourselves from acting upon the darker inclinations which often form part of the human psyche. Of course, better still to totally rid ourselves of this mortal encumbrances, but if you are not able to (and I find it tough), then at least, to will ourselves against acting upon such negative impulses is already a good change. One step at a time.

GOD'S GLUE FACTORY. As a certified sinner, I often fail. What else can I do but pick the pieces of my hopes and try to glue them back together again. Happily, I have a key to God’s Glue Factory, and He lets me have as much glue as I need to piece back together my broken promises and dreams. He is All-Wonderful that way.

Good night, my friends. Tomorrow beckons, and I hope to receive it with a smile on my face. Sweet dreams.

Pax Taufiqa.

No comments: